Since 2000, GCSE has produced analyses on national trends in environmental and sustainability education and research that has provided the foundation for expansion of the field. GCSE now works to ensure science can have a role in decision-making across all levels of government, communities, and the private sector.
The Community College Handbook for Sustainability Education and Operations
The Community College Handbook for Sustainability Education and Operations is a practical resource for sustainability education and operations at America’s two-year colleges. These reports are intended for community college faculty, administrators, staff, students, and community partners. This iterative handbook provides examples of real sustainability strategies and initiatives across specific topics that have been implemented at community colleges. Learn more and view the Community College Handbook.
Climate Science Research
Released in November 2019, "Climate Science Research in the United States and U.S. Territories: Survey of Scientific Publications From Selected Public Universities (2014–2018)" provides a snapshot of the scope and focus of climate science-related research in selected public research institutions over the last five years across all 50 states and U.S. territories. GCSE analyzed the research of 80 public institutions from all 50 states and found that they had produced 10,004 studies on the impacts of climate change on their regions between 2014 and 2018.
Education Research Reports
Education research reports provide analysis on national trends in environmental and sustainability education and research. These groundbreaking reports are highly valued by higher education administrators, federal government agencies, educators, researchers, policymakers, students, and others interested in interdisciplinary environmental and sustainability education (IESE) education and research.
- Energy Programs in Higher Education in the United States: Assessing Trends Across Two Pathways to Knowledge Development (2018)
- Scope of Interdisciplinary Environmental, Sustainability and Energy Baccalaureate and Graduate Education in the U.S. (2017)
- Partner Report: The Inclusion of Environmental Justice Curricular Content in Interdisciplinary Environmental and Sustainability Degree Programs (2016)
- Interdisciplinary Environmental and Sustainability Education and Research: Leadership and Administrative Structures (2014)
- Interdisciplinary Environmental and Sustainability Education and Research: Institutes and Centers at Research Universities (2014)
- Interdisciplinary Environmental and Sustainability Education and Research: Results from the Census of Community Colleges (2014)
- Sustainability Education: Results from the Census of Four Year U.S. Colleges and Universities (2013)
- Interdisciplinary Environmental and Sustainability Education on the Nation’s Campuses 2012: Curriculum Design (2013)
- Non-Traditional and Broad Energy Education: Results from the Census of U.S. Four Year Colleges and Universities (2013)
- Interdisciplinary Environmental and Sustainability Education: Results from the Census of U.S. Four-Year Colleges and Universities (2012)
- Interdisciplinary Environmental Education on the Nation’s Campuses: Elements of Field Identity and Curriculum Design (2010)
Reports and resources by GCSE leaders in energy education (formerly the Council of Energy Research and Education Leaders):